Tuesday, August 4, 2009

~ Watercress Salad ~
















Watercress is one of my favorite greens. I love their small green leaves and they have an unusual taste. They are not bitter, but nutty in flavor. They taste great mixed with purple cabbage and red onion. I added some red clover and carrots to give the salad a bit of sweetness to it. I either shred carrot or make my special carrot flowers for color and beauty ~ Watercress Salad
1 bunch of watercress
1/4 head of purple cabbage
1/4 cup of minced red onion
8 clover flowers
1/2 cucumber
sea salt
juice of half a lemon
2 T olive oil
2 carrots















































Health Benifits of Watercress


**Watercress is a member of the cabbage family along with other greens such as mustard greens, kale, kohlrabi, and turnip greens. Watercress offers similar health benefits as kale and collards and can be used in the same way.
Watercress and other cabbage greens are among the most highly nutritious vegetables. They provide an excellent source of vitamins B6, C, manganese, and carotenes. Greens in the cabbage family also provide a very good source of fiber, iron,copper, and calcium. In addition, the greens are a very good source of vitamins B1, B2, and E. Greens in the cabbage family have almost three times as much calcium as phosphorus. That is a very beneficial ratio since high phosphorus consumption has been linked to osteoporosis. As members of the cabbage family, watercress, kale, collards, mustard greens, kohlrabi, and turnip greens contain the same sort of anticancer properties. **

2 comments:

  1. I always wondered what to do with watercress! We have been making our own juices for years, but I never added watercress - not sure how that would taste. Since every veggie has its own unique nutrients, I would like to eat some watercress, in case it has something I need~
    Very pretty blog:)
    Congratulations on being raw!
    ~Donna
    I invite you to my blog whenever you get a moment~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, I grew red clover in my backyard cause it was pretty, but that's it. Didn't try to use it as an edible flower. Your post got me thinking about salads.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Jasmin
    www.buddingplanet.com

    ReplyDelete