Wednesday, October 7, 2009

~ Not Meat Balls in Marinara Sauce ~


Not Meat Balls make the raw pasta dish a lot more filling. I got this recipe from Jennifer Cornbleet's book. I have adjusted it to my taste.

Walnuts are the base for these and I just love them for many reasons. I discovered a couple years back that they contain melatonin .
This chemical, which induces sleep, naturally occurs in the brain. I have suffered with insomnia along with fibromyalgia for most of my life. I like to try to find natural ways to encourage healthy sleep patterns. They also contain omega three's which is good for the brain, tissues and joints.


I find preparing ahead and letting these meat balls set overnight will allow the seasonings to intensify and give it that right flavour.

There are some good recipes for not meat balls out there. I love Jennifer Cornbleet's recipe, but found it a little bland and came up with a recipe that tastes similar to the real italian meatballs.
Marinara Sauce
Recipe

2 tomatoes
1/2 red pepper
sea salt,
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup homemade sun dried tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
fresh basil leaves





I think next time I will add more sundried tomatoes and less of the fresh tomato because it was runnier than I had hoped. It was still good though....




I love the contrast of the different green colours in the raw zucchini noodles.






I have so much fun with decorating and adding garnishes to my dishes. I would say that sprouts are my signiture, but I didn't have any yesterday so fresh herbs had to be the next best thing.


I covered the pasta with the marinara sauce and then drizzled extra on top of my not meat balls.






I would say two of these meatless balls is enough to fill me because I ate three and was stuffed.



No comments:

Post a Comment