Wednesday, February 3, 2010

~ Almond Milk ~



It was a nice experience to make raw almond milk for the first time. First I soaked my almonds for eight hours to remove the enzyme inhibitors. Soaking them also makes the nuts easier to blend.




It is good when eating nuts to always remember to pre- soak them first. This makes the nut soft and alive. I usually throw a couple handfuls in a bowl with water in the morning or leave them overnight. Then I rinse them well before eating them as a snack or for use in a recipe.



I couldn't believe how much almond milk looked just like cows milk. It was very white and bubbly.





I tired some on my rawnolla and it was so light and delicious.....




Recipe:

1,1/2 cups soaked almonds
3 cups water
pinch of sea salt
1 medjool date
1/4 tsp vanilla

Add all the ingredients in the high speed blender and blend well. Use either a nut bag or a large piece of cheesecloth to strain the milk. Squeeze the bag or cloth well until all the milk is in the bowl. Use the leftover pulp in a raw nut crust or dessert. If you do end up throwing it away throw it in your compost or Angela Stokes won't be so happy...:)




My mother had given me a couple of old milk bottles that belonged to my grandmother. They were just sitting in her garage collecting dust. They must be at least 60 years old and what a treasure they are. I will use these bottles whenever I make homemade almond milk for my family.



Keep the milk in a airtight container in the fridge. It will last up to three days.....



You can use this in your smoothies, raw desserts, raw cereals or just as a glass of good wholesome milk minus all the poison.



ENJOY!!











No comments:

Post a Comment