Wednesday, April 27, 2011

~ Coconut Almond Cookies ~

Wheat free, egg free and low sugar cookies packed full of NUTRITION !!



As most of you know who have been keeping up with my blog I have made some changes. I eat a lot of raw foods, but also looking into whole foods as well. I admit I have a sweet tooth and my family does as well. I have been searching for healthy alternatives that are still nutrient dense and low glycemic ( sugar). Wheat and gluten is an issue for most people and for our family we need to stay away from it. Wheat is overused and is and it causes many unwanted symptoms. Some of them are headaches, bloating, fatigue, leaching of minerals.



I found a site I absolutely love called, The Spunky Coconut and Kelly V. Brozyna who has created this site has so many marvelous recipes, a couple of books I love and also other things she sells like t- shirts and tote bags. Check her site out at : http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/



As you can see this recipe is not raw, but cooked and still has all clean organic nutritious ingredients. I have no regret feeding my family these cookies. Honestly if I don't make something like this inevitably they will be off to the store eventually eating junk that just keeps them feeling sick and tired.



I adjusted the recipe a little to my oun taste...

Recipe :
Wet Ingredients
1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
1 T chia meal
15 drops of stevia vanilla cream
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 tsp almond extract

Dry Ingredients
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 almond meal
3/4 shredded coconut
2 T cacao nibs

Bake at 350 degrees for 10- 12 min

I think next time I make these I will be adding half the coconut oil so it has less fat.


Enjoy !!

1 comment:

  1. Looks so delicious...:-))

    I love RAW and no or low sugar, no gluten recipes...:-))

    Love Camilla

    ReplyDelete